Oh - and I just had leftover breakfast from day 2.
So...here is what I made. So weird....
Scarey-weird food #1 - really good
Pressed salad is a dish indicated for promoting flexibility and can be made anytime of year. Salting and pressing has the effect of "cooking" the vegetables in the sense of making them more digestible, but preserves the active living enzymes.
I think the main thing is that macrobiotic diet pickles a lot of things, and its supposed to increase "good" bacteria and help with digestion...I'm going to keep eating this salad because its weird and it tastes good. Isn't it pretty??
So I sliced cabbage, scallions, radishes, cucumbers and a sliced orange added a few vinegars and pressed it with a full tea kettle for a half hour, and voila!! Delish! I added sunflower seeds just before eating for a crunch. This I recommend for veggies and meat-eaters alike.
Lastly I made Quinoa and Walnuts with fresh basil from my garden. It was a very simple side dish, and again, not too weird for anyone to eat. Just cook up some quinoa, add some oil and walnut, then add fresh basil, shove into mouth.
Needless to say it was a LARGE (but fabulous) lunch. I was very satisfied at the end of the meal. No complaints for this one, and I will probably make all of these dishes again.
And FINALLY it was time for Sushi. This is one of those things that I swore I would never eat. Yuck! Freaks me out...but going to a sushi restaurant was on the list, so I had to do it of course. I enlisted the help of a friend of mine, and sushi-lover, Kris. We went to a little sushi place, and she helped me order some veggie sushi rolls. I got the vegetable roll and the asparagus roll. We had my personal favorite - edamame - for an appetizer.
And FINALLY it was time for Sushi. This is one of those things that I swore I would never eat. Yuck! Freaks me out...but going to a sushi restaurant was on the list, so I had to do it of course. I enlisted the help of a friend of mine, and sushi-lover, Kris. We went to a little sushi place, and she helped me order some veggie sushi rolls. I got the vegetable roll and the asparagus roll. We had my personal favorite - edamame - for an appetizer.
Below is our pretty sushi plate!! Kris got all sorts of raw fish sushi, which freaked me out a little, but as far as I know she hasn't died yet, so I guess its okay...hehe...mine were the bottom two sets of rolls on the left and middle. I will say...it was different. We couldn't figure out what was in the vegetable rolls, but I think there were some pickled radishes and avacado. I didn't like those too much, but the aparagus rolls were pretty good. I dipped them in lots of soy sauce and wasabi. I also tried pickled ginger. As Kris said - "It kind of tastes like you're eating perfume." uh... it was...strange.
Overall, Day 3 has been the funnest day yet. I tried all sorts of crazy things that I would have never thought of to try before - and I liked most of it!! I think sushi will be an acquired taste, but I will definitely try again. Plus I had excellent company :) Thanks, Kris!
I'm doing my best to keep up with my dishes...its starting to slack a little, but I think Day 4 I will have time to catch up. Even if its not this weirdo food, think about trying something new this week. You might be as surprised as I have been!

No comments:
Post a Comment